Sunday, October 26, 2008

Love

We are going through the 40 days of love series at church right now. I have a lot on my brain today and can't find the bulletin with my notes at the moment, but pastor Mark said some great things that I want to post about on here. If I find my notes I'll write more about it.

The thing that stuck with me the most:
Myth--If I am perfect people will love me.
Fact--Jesus was perfect and they nailed him to a cross

That really made me stop and think. I do try to be perfect, and I can't be. I don't think that means I shouldn't strive to be a good person. But I do think it means I can't please everyone. I can only be me. Pastor Mark's point was that people should love us unconditionally, with all our faults, and we should love the same way. He said that a lot of people try to earn love because they were always trying to earn love from their parents, who had conditional love. They need to work through that so that they don't treat people with conditional love. I don't feel my parents treated me that way but it is a very interetsting point. Just gave me a lot to thing about today. And since I kind of have a lot going on at the moment, I needed to stop and think.

No comments: