Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Life's not fair

Life's not fair........
I say this to my girls, especially my oldest, frequently. However I also need
to hear it frequently. Why can my husband eat 3 huge meals a day plus snacks
and still struggle with putting on a few pounds while I drive by McDonald's
and smell the French fries and gain 3 pounds. Why do your kids wake up with a
fever on the day you have plans to get a sitter. Why does the car break down
when you finally have a little money in the bank? Life's just not
fair.............but our pastor today at church told us that life doesn't
"seem" fair. God sees the big picture, we see through our own eyes a
tiny little blurb of the picture. God doesn't make bad things happen to us,
but he does sometimes allow them. Even Jesus himself prayed in his last days on
earth asking God to spare him the pain of death on the cross if at all possible.
But also asking for "not my will but yours be done". I am sure that
Jesus wanted to stomp his foot and whine and cry and yell "life's not
fair". It wasn't fair that Jesus died on the cross for OUR sins, and
it's not fair when nap time runs short on the day that we need it the most.
The good news it that God gives up hope when life doesn't seem fair. He
uses bad for good, he loves us more than we can even imagine, and he uses
adversity to help us find hope. Romans 5:3-4 (NIV) "Not only so, but we
also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces
perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope."
So today or this week or next month when faced with a "life's not
fair" moment, I hope we can all stop and remember what Jesus has done for
us.

2 comments:

Angela said...

I needed to read this today, thanks!!

And boy, do I feel you on hubbys with high metabolisms. I've been busting my butt running and can barely do an 11 min pace over 3 miles, Brad can do 9ish when he is SICK and hasn't ran in a month. Men!!!!!!

Jill White said...

Thanks for the encouragement!